Monday, July 21, 2008

Either, Or

When I started teaching in 2000 (at 20, what was I thinking???), I focused on saving every penny I earned. I managed to save a couple thousand dollars, even though I only made $13,000! I have no idea how I did it. I KNEW I was going to have to save up to put a husband through school, so I NEEDED to save as much as I could so he would be really proud of me--and want me even more for being so smart.
Then, I grew up and got selfish. That's not exactly right, but sort of. I decided that I wasn't going to pine away hoping and planning. I earned the money--every last penny! It was mine to spend.
So, during my 3rd year of teaching, I decided I would either get married the following summer, or buy a nice car. That way, I would have an awesome summer no matter how it all shook out!
Ta Da! Bright blue Altima.
So every summer now, I either get married or go on a cool trip. There have to be a few perks for hard work, right?My first "Single Girl Trip,"some teacher friends and I took a 2-week road trip to Banff and Waterton, Canada, Glacier National Park, Yellowstone NP, and Teton NP! It was great. We lived up our independent woman status. Since then, I have been to Hawaii, Lake Powell, all over Europe, every National Park in Utah, whitewater rafting on the Salmon River, Havasupai and Seattle.
For consolation prizes, I'm not doing too poorly.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

So I noticed Minnesota didn't make it onto your amazing places list. I really think it would impress people to know you've been here too. 10,000 lakes. Come on....

Deb's Big Hunk said...

Nice consolation prizes! Sometimes guys don't see a good or great thing even if it's staring right at him until it hits him in the head. You need to start hitting some guys in the head. Where were those gorgeous mountain pictures taken?